Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Google Amenities - - Treating employees like "adults" - -(Actually, like royal adults)

_____________

We all hear about the perks of working at Google. Let me start by saying...whatever you have heard, it is true. I didn't do a lot of research on the perks before coming here...I just knew about the perks touted most often, like free meals.

The list is...almost endless. Google takes pride in keeping employees happy, with the view that happy employees are productive employees. And happy employees will be less likely to leave for other tech opportunities that abound in Silicon Valley.

There is a micro-kitchen in every building. Coffees, teas, cashews, almonds, locally sourced fruit, and other healthy snacks. The juices are fancy organic carrot juice, mango juice, etc. On the 3rd floor, there is a barista, in case you prefer professionally-made gourmet coffees with designs in the microfoam in a coffeehouse atmosphere. There are multiple cafes on campus, with famous chefs at the helm, preparing culturally diverse dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The bathrooms have Japanese-made toilets with heated seats.The grounds are lovely, fragrant with flowers, and with interesting seating all around if you prefer to work outside. There are interesting clusters of seating inside, too, if you opt to leave your desk to work in an alternate setting.

I found another blog about the Google grounds, that includes lots of pictures (including the toilets...) - -I include it here:
 http://www.whereverwriter.com/how-to-get-a-tour-of-google-headquarters-mountain-view-california/

Right now, I discover all of these options with wonder, like a child, or a traveler to a new country. I am amazed at every turn, and taken aback at this ever-so-indulgent work environment. Others, over time, have come to take it for granted. New hires who have not worked in other places before probably conclude that this is the norm for the working world. It is not.

My cousin has commented in jest that I need to make sure that I don't look like a NY tourist, gaping in awe as I look up at the tall buildings that everyone else passes in stride :-)

But I want to challenge myself to *not* take any of this for granted, ever. These are exceptional amenities, and I want to stay grateful and in awe for as long as I'm here. Let's see how long *that* lasts....How long will it take for me to complain that they don't have my absolute favorite type of flavored water in stock, as though it's an entitlement...


No comments:

Post a Comment