Saturday, July 11, 2015

Green California

We live in the United States....where the rules and experiences (and language) are much more cohesive than, say, the more disparate states of India. But there are nonetheless notable state distinctions, between California and New York. (Since I am in northern California, maybe some of these are not state-wide? Maybe even unique to Sunnyvale or Mountain View? - - )

One noteworthy difference is ecological. 

The paper towel dispensers at Google often have stickers that state "these come from trees," to discourage waste. Funny...I can hear my mother's voice, when I was younger, saying "money doesn't grow on trees," (suggesting that if it DID, I could use as much as I wanted..:-) 

The waste at Google is distributed and color coded across four bins: non-confidential paper, compostables, bottles and cans, and landfill. (The "landfill" bin was clearly so named to sound particularly unpleasant ...) Google sources plastic utensils and plastic cups that are somehow plant-based, and these go into the compostable bin. It takes some extra time to think when you are discarding your trash here...

Plastic bags are no longer provided in the stores. You either bring your own canvas bags, or you can buy a brown paper bag for 20 cents or so. And to tell the sad truth, I miss the plastic bags from places like Target...I use them to carry my sneakers in my gym bag, to line garbage pails, and numerous other things! When I went home to NY last weekend, I packed a bunch in my carry-on luggage to bring back to California...But now, I treat them much more gently, since they need to last... :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment